The Palazzo Franchettiâ€™s garden was created in around 1860 by the architect Giambattista Meduna. Its special feature, apart from its size (1500 m2), is its extension from the Grand Canal to Campo Santo Stefano, which Meduna achieved by buying all the properties around the building. The 2004 restoration included a reordering of the existing plants and, considering the events hosted by the palazzo, made the garden into the key link for diversifying use of the spaces. The part extending towards Campo Santo Stefano is open to the public and gives access to the exhibitions and offices, while that facing onto the Grand Canal is restricted to guests attending the conferences and events held on the ground floor of the building. It is used in the summer months for gala dinners and cocktail parties. The garden has several times been enhanced by the exhibition of significant works of art.